Available on the App Store Get it on Google Play

The General® is pleased to provide auto insurance in Washington.  We offer low cost auto insurance online even if you have a less than perfect driving record, have never been insured before, have let your policy lapse, or have had your coverage suspended or revoked.

We’ve provided some information below that we hope will be helpful in answering some of the more common questions we’ve received from our customers.

Minimum Level of Coverage

Washington law requires anyone driving a motor vehicle in the state of Washington to have an insurance liability policy, a certificate of deposit, or a liability bond to the required limits. You must carry the same limits if you choose to buy a bond instead of an insurance policy. If you use a certificate of deposit, you must deposit $60,000 in cash or securities with the Office of the State Treasurer.  Washington’s mandatory-insurance law requires that drivers have at least these coverage’s:

Bodily injury (BI) liability

- $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident for bodily injury to others.

Property damage (PD) liability

$10,000 per accident for damage to the property of others.

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Washington Auto Insurance

What is Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and who does it cover?

PIP is insurance coverage for medical and other expenses, such as wage loss and funeral expenses, which result from an auto accident, no matter who is at fault. The law does not require you to have PIP coverage and can be rejected if put into writing.
PIP covers the person who is named on the policy, household residents related by blood, marriage or adoption, and step- or foster children. It also covers non-family passengers and pedestrians involved in the accident.

What if I’m called to active duty?

Contact a Customer Service representative to find out if your policy covers you driving in the area where the military is restationing you. Make sure you provide your agent with your current address so they can send you information about your policy.

How Do I Prove I Have Insurance?

If you’re stopped by a law enforcement officer, you must present proof of insurance showing that either the vehicle or you are insured.
The proof of insurance card includes the name of the insurance company, the policy number, and the policy’s effective and expiration dates. It also includes a description of the insured vehicle(s) and/or the name of the insured driver.

What if you’re currently driving without coverage?

The General® offers instant proof of insurance when you buy auto insurance online at our website.

Additional Resources

Washington Department of Insurance
Washington Department of Motor Vehicles
Washington State Patrol
Washington Department of Transportation