Terms & Conditions
Your use of this website is expressly conditioned on your acceptance of these Terms & Conditions. If you do not agree with any part of the Terms & Conditions, you must not use this website.
The General Automobile Insurance Services, Inc. and its insurance company affiliates (“The General®”) reserve the right to modify the Terms & Conditions at any time. Continued use of this website by you will constitute your acceptance of any revisions to the Terms & Conditions. Please check this page regularly.
- Paperless Electronic Delivery
- Copyrights and Trademarks
- Third-Party Websites
- Password Registration
- Disclaimer of Warranty
- Limitation of Liability
- Jurisdiction / Enforceability
- The General® Account Alerts
Paperless Electronic Delivery
Enrolling in Paperless Electronic Delivery means that you consent to allowing The General® to electronically deliver important policy documents to you. This means you will no longer receive paper versions of policy documents in the mail, but will rather receive an electronic notification to an email address you provide. The documents are accessible using your MyPolicy account at www.thegeneral.com/mypolicy. Policy documents that will no longer be mailed include but are not limited to the following:
- Policy Contract and Endorsements
- Insurance Identification (ID) Cards
- Billing Notices
- Declaration Pages
- Underwriting notices
Some documents, including cancellation and non-renewal notices, will still be delivered to you in paper form by mail.
If you consent to Paperless Electronic Delivery, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Once you withdraw your consent The General® will begin sending your policy documents in paper format to the last known address in our records. However, a Paper Document Fee may apply if you (1) do not consent to Paperless Electronic Delivery; or (2) withdraw your consent to Paperless Electronic Delivery. At any time you may consent to Paperless Electronic Delivery or request a paper copy of a particular policy document by calling our customer service department at 1-800-280-1466.
You can access the electronic version of your documents anytime by logging into your online self-service account at www.thegeneral.com/mypolicy (MyPolicy). You will be required to register for an account and create a unique User ID and password to securely access your policy information. Step-by step instructions are provided on our website or you may call customer service for assistance. You will need the following to access our website: (1) a computer, tablet or phone capable of accessing the internet (2) an internet service provider and (3) an internet browser capable of viewing our website. After registering your MyPolicy account, you may access all of your policy documents on the View/Print Documents page. You will be able to view, print, or save your policy documents in Adobe Portable Document format (pdf). If you do not have a program to view the documents in Abode pdf format, you can download Adobe Acrobat Reader from within your MyPolicy account. If these technical requirements change, we will provide you with the updated requirements. If you have trouble with your MyPolicy account or accessing your documents, it is your responsibility to contact The General® and notify us of the problem at 1-800-280-1466.
You are responsible for accessing and reading the policy documents in your MyPolicy account. Electronic documents have the same legal effect as printed ones. If an email sent to you for Paperless Electronic Delivery is returned as undeliverable, you will be unenrolled from Paperless Electronic Delivery and you will receive your policy documents by mail. It is your responsibility to update any changes to your email address with The General®. The General® is not responsible for an inactive or out-of-date email address you provide to us. You may change your email address and if necessary, re-enroll for Paperless Electronic Delivery by contacting The General® customer service department at 1-800-280-1466 or by logging into your MyPolicy account.
The General® may amend the terms of this agreement at any time by providing notice of the amended Terms & Conditions to you. If you do not agree with the amended terms, you may withdraw your consent from Paperless Electronic Delivery.
By enrolling in Paperless Electronic Delivery, you acknowledge that you have read, understand, and agree to these Terms & Conditions and consent to receive important policy documents in electronic format. This agreement is effective immediately when The General® receives consent to Paperless Electronic Delivery.Back to top
Copyrights and Trademarks
Except where otherwise indicated, all materials contained within The General® website are the copyrighted or trademarked intellectual property of The General® or its third party licensors. All logos and other trademarks and service marks used on this website are owned by The General®, unless otherwise denoted.
Permission is hereby granted to use, copy and distribute these materials as presented in The General® website and without alteration for non-commercial purposes only; provided that all copyright and other proprietary notices appear in all copies in the same manner as the original. All other uses are prohibited.
Except as expressly provided herein, you shall not use any portion of this website, or any other intellectual property of The General® (including, but not limited to its service marks), on any other website, in the source code of any other website, or in any other printed or electronic materials. Except as expressly provided herein, you shall not modify, publish, reproduce, republish, create derivative works, copy, upload, post, transmit, distribute, or otherwise use any of The General® website’s content or frame The General® website within any other website without our prior written permission. Systematic retrieval of data or other content from this website to create or compile, directly or indirectly, a collection, compilation, database or directory, without prior written permission from The General®, is prohibited. Linking from another website to any page in this website is strictly prohibited without prior written permission.Back to top
The General® website contains links to other Internet websites (third-party websites) that are not maintained by The General®. These links are provided solely for your convenience. The General® makes no warranties or representations about the content of, about any products or services offered by, or about the security or the intellectual property compliance of, such third-party websites. We recommend that, before using these websites, you take the time to read the privacy policies and user agreements of those websites.Back to top
The General® online service website (MyPolicy) is restricted and requires a user identification code (User ID) and a password for access. Unauthorized, unlawful or deliberately damaging use of or access to the online service website is strictly prohibited.
In accessing the online service sites, you agree that:
- The General® is entitled to act on instructions received under your User ID and password.
- The General® is not liable for any unauthorized access to your personal information that is not the direct result of gross negligence or intentional misconduct on the part of The General®.
- You will keep your password confidential and you will notify The General® immediately if you believe someone else has obtained your User ID and password or any unauthorized access to the online service site has occurred or may occur.
- The General® may block access to the online service site without prior notice if we believe your User ID and password are being used by someone other than you, if any unauthorized access to your personal information has occurred or may occur, or for other reasons including the protection of the individual’s personally identifiable information.
Disclaimer of Warranty
The content and materials in The General® website are provided “as is” and without representations or warranties of any kind, either express or implied. The General® expressly disclaims all warranties, express or implied, with respect to this website including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. The General® does not warrant or represent that the functions or operation of this website will be uninterrupted or error-free, that defects will be corrected, or that this website, its servers or any email sent from The General® are free of viruses or other harmful components. Some states do not allow the disclaimer of implied warranties, so some or all of the foregoing disclaimer may not apply to you.Back to top
Limitation of Liability
The General® shall not be liable for any injury, loss, claim, or damages of any kind, whether based in contract, tort, strict liability or otherwise, which arises out of (1) the use of, or inability to use, this website or content found in this website, and (2) unless resulting from the gross negligence or intentional actions of The General®, or the unauthorized access to or alteration of your data but only to the extent of the cost to correct the security defect or to restore the affected information. The General® shall not in any case be liable for any indirect, special, incidental, consequential, or similar damages of any kind, even if The General® has been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion of liability for certain damages, so some or all of the foregoing exclusions or limitations may not apply to you.Back to top
Jurisdiction / Enforceability
Use of The General® website shall be governed by, and its language must be construed in accordance with the laws of, the State of Tennessee without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of laws. Any dispute concerning this website or the stated policies shall be subject to the exclusive venue of a court of competent jurisdiction in Davidson County, Tennessee.
Should any provision of these Terms & Conditions be held to be invalid, unlawful or for any reason unenforceable, then the affected provision shall be severable from the remaining provisions. A severed provision shall not affect the validity or enforceability of the remaining provisions.Back to top
The General® Account Alerts
Text Messages. The General® Account Alerts Program - With your prior consent to opt-in for text messages regarding your policy, we will send text messages to your mobile device. The frequency of the messages will depend on your account activity. We do not charge for this service but message and data rates may apply from your carrier. You can log into MyPolicy to change your profile settings. To stop receiving text messages from us, text STOP to 737373. If you elect to stop receiving text messages, you will receive a final text confirming that your number has been unsubscribed. For help, text HELP to 737373 or call support at 1-800-280-1466.
- At this time, we cannot accept questions or policy changes via text; those should continue to be handled by accessing your MyPolicy account or by contacting us at 1-800-280-1466.
- Alerts sent via SMS (texting service) may not be delivered to you if your phone is not in range of a transmission site, or if sufficient network capacity is not available at a particular time. Even within a coverage area, factors beyond the control of your wireless carrier may interfere with message delivery, including the customer's equipment, terrain, proximity to buildings, foliage, and weather. You acknowledge that urgent alerts may not be received timely and that your wireless carrier does not guarantee that alerts will be delivered. Likewise, The General® cannot guarantee timeliness or delivery and we are not liable for losses or damages arising from non-delivery, delayed delivery, or misdirected delivery of a text message.
- Text messages to The General® can never be used to contact 911 or other emergency services.
- SMS text message notifications may be delayed or not received during regional emergencies or other periods of high messaging traffic.
- Third parties can send SMS text messages disguised as alerts from The General® and therefore you are urged to verify independently the authenticity of any message that you receive.
- SMS text message notifications from The General® will be presented on your mobile device in the same manner as any other SMS text messages. You accept that each text message may not be encrypted, and may contain information about your policy.
- The General® will send text messages using automated technology. If your mobile number is disconnected or transferred to a different mobile carrier, you must complete the consent process at The General® for your new mobile phone number.
- The General® is working with AT&T, Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile®, Metro PCS, Sprint, Boost, Virgin Mobile, U.S. Cellular®, and others. Customers who use a different carrier should contact their mobile carrier to determine if this service is available and the cost associated with texting.
- The mobile carriers are not liable for delayed or undelivered messages.
- Because many phone companies recycle phone numbers, it is possible for customers who purchase a new phone to receive messages that the previous owner had subscribed to or otherwise consented to receive. The General® will periodically purge phone numbers that have been reassigned or discontinued after being notified by the phone companies of discontinued/recycled phone numbers.
- Customers are not required to provide consent to receive text messages as a condition of purchasing any goods or services.
- By consenting to receive text messages from The General®, the customer is stating that they are over the age of 13 years and that they wish to receive text communications from The General®. Consent can be given via email, web site form, text message, telephone key press or voice recording.
- We reserve the right to terminate this text messaging service, in whole or in part, at any time without notice.
Phone Messages. The General® Account Alerts Program - With your prior consent to opt-in for automated phone messages regarding your policy, we may deliver messages to your land-line or mobile phone. The number of messages we will leave on your land-line or mobile phone will vary depending on your account activity. To stop receiving automated phone messages during delivery of the recorded call press 9 or after the call ends please call support at 1-800-280-1466, option 9 to opt-out. You can call customer service at any time for assistance or log into MyPolicy to change your profile settings for automated messages.Back to top