Your privacy is important to us. Permanent General protects the confidentiality of Nonpublic personal information that you provide to us or we collect. We have physical, electronic, and procedural security in place to protect nonpublic personal information. We restrict access to your personal information to our employees and only those we feel must have access in order to service your policy or claim or provide other services related to our business.
However, the personal information collected, may, if permitted by law, be disclosed without prior authorization to non-affiliated third parties. We may also share information with affiliated companies for such purposes as claims handling, servicing, underwriting, pricing and insurance marketing. Information may be provided to others when required by law to or pursuant to legal process.
Types of Information We Collect. We collect non-public personal, financial and health information about you, your family and your property in order to issue policies, service policies, and handle claims. Non-public personal, financial and health information is defined as information not generally available to the public. We collect this information in a number of ways, including:
- E-mail. We may email requests to you to complete and support your transactions with us and to comply with law. We may also send you email to follow-up on coverage quotes, respond to your questions, and to provide you with information about your policy and other information. We will not share your email address with third parties without your consent.
- Information that you give us when you apply for a policy or make a policy change. When you apply for a policy we record the information that you give us on an application form. We also record information when you request a policy change or when processing your policy renewal. The information we obtain may include your name, address, and telephone number, driver’s license number, social security number, date of birth, length of employment, gender, marital status, prior insurance information, home ownership, length of residency, vehicle descriptions, miles driven and vehicle use, other drivers, vehicle garaging address and driving history.
- Information that we acquire in the course of doing business with you. We collect information about your transactions with our company, affiliates and other companies. It may include your insurance coverage selections and premiums, payment and claims history, information used to calculate premium, and your payment and billing information. It may also include information used to adjust, investigate, settle, and defend claims, such as witness statements, medical records and police reports.
- Information that we acquire from third parties. We collect information from consumer reporting agencies. We may collect personal information, such as consumer reports that include credit information (where permitted by law) and reports about you and the drivers in your household with respect to your application for insurance, renewals, changes to your policy, and claims. Insurance scoring information using credit, where allowed by law, may be used to determine your eligibility or premium for insurance. We may use a third party to get this score. Any nonpublic personal information we have about you or listed drivers is confidential information and kept private. It may include motor vehicle records, driving records, accident reports, claims history reports, insurance records, and consumer reports that may include credit information. Upon your written request to us, we will provide you with a copy of this information. You have the right to access this personal information and ask for correction of any erroneous information found in the records of these third parties.
Parties to Whom We Disclose Information. We may, as permitted by law, disclose your nonpublic personal information in our records (including, but not limited to: name, address, year/make/model of your automobile and claims history).
Without your prior permission, we may disclose this information to certain persons or organizations including:
- Other insurance institutions, financial institutions, agents, or insurance support organizations.
- Persons who perform a business, professional, or insurance function for us.
- Businesses that conduct actuarial or research studies at our request.
- Insurance regulatory authorities.
- Law enforcement or other governmental authorities.
- Our affiliated companies who assist our insurance business activities.
- Nonaffiliated third parties.
Your information may be provided to others in the following circumstances, as permitted by law, for them to:
- Perform a business, professional, or insurance function for us.
- Provide information to us in order to:
- Determine your eligibility for an insurance benefit or payment, or
- Detect or prevent criminal activity, fraud, material misrepresentation or material nondisclosure in connection with an insurance transaction
All third parties are subject to agreements to maintain the security and confidentiality of your nonpublic personal information.
Limiting the Sale of Your Nonpublic Personal Information. You may opt out of the sale of your nonpublic personal information to nonaffiliated third parties. You may do so by contacting our customer service department at 1-800-280-1466 or by going to our website www.thegeneral.com and selecting the link titled "Do Not Sell My Personal Information".
Confidentiality & Security. We restrict access to non-public personal information about you to our employees and other parties who must use that information to provide products or services to you. Their right to disclose or use the information is limited by our employee code of conduct, applicable law, and nondisclosure agreements where appropriate. We also maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to guard your personal information against unauthorized disclosure or use.
Your Right To Review and Correct Nonpublic Personal Information. Upon your written request, and pursuant to law, you may review your information in our records. If you see any inaccuracies in your information you can send us a written statement describing the information you believe is incorrect and information that should appear in its place. We will either make the requested correction or tell you why we will not or cannot make the correction. If we correct your records, we will send confirmation to you and send the corrected information to any insurance support organizations we provided with your information if it is still in their records. We will also furnish the corrected information to any person you designate who may have received the information within the last 2 years. We cannot correct Consumer Report Information, such as a credit report. To do this, you must contact the consumer reporting agency that provided it. If we refuse to make a requested correction, you may file a written statement with us describing the information you believe is incorrect, and information that should appear in its place. Your statement will become part of your file. It will be sent to the same persons to whom we would send a copy of any correction or change. Additionally, your statement will be included in any subsequent, lawful disclosure.
You also have the right to request other details about our collection, sharing, or selling of your personal information. You may submit a request at the following web address www.thegeneral.com/legal/privacy-policy or by calling 1-800-280-1466. We will not provide privileged data, such as insurance claims or lawsuits.
California Privacy Rights. California Civil Code §1798.83 permits our website users who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties. To obtain this information, submit your request at the following web address www.thegeneral.com/legal/privacy-policy or by calling 1-800-280-1466.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any privacy rights afforded to you by applicable law.
WE WILL DELIVER OUR NOTICE OF INFORMATION PRACTICES FOR YOUR STATE TO YOU.