Know your motorcycle is covered so you can cruise with peace of mind.
Get a quote from The General® to see how much you can save on motorcycle insurance.
Rev Up Your Motorcycle Coverage
Nothing compares to the feeling of freedom you get when riding your bike. With industry-leading coverage and service through our partners, we want to get you protected and back on the road!
Millions of riders trust us to help them to secure policies with high value and low cost. Get a motorcycle insurance quote today from one of the best carriers. We'll help protect your bike now and for many rides to come.
How Motorcycle Insurance Works: Types of Coverage
In most states, motorcycle insurance policies cover a variety of the same things that auto insurance covers. Overall, insurers provide the following options for motorcycle insurance coverage:
Liability covers the damage to someone else or their property when the vehicle operator is at fault. Each state regulates this type of coverage, and it is required by law.
Covers damage to your motorcycle in the event of an accident.
Provides insurance if your motorcycle is stolen or damaged by something other than a collision with a vehicle, including collisions with animals.
Personal Injury Protection
Pays for medical bills for you and any eligible person should you incur injuries, regardless of whose fault it is.
Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist
An inexpensive addition and is smart to have. Should you get into an accident with someone who is at fault and does not have insurance, the uninsured motorist coverage will pay for your damages. Underinsured coverage is similar and usually pays for damages when the other party, who is at fault, does not have enough insurance to cover the cost.
Get a motorcycle insurance quote and start your coverage today!Get a Free Quote
Why You Need Motorcycle Insurance
By law, many states require that you have liability motorcycle insurance. If you have additional concerns or are seeking additional coverage in case of an accident, you may also want to consider coverage such as personal injury protection or uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. Speak to a Customer Service Representative today to learn more.
Types of Motorcycles We Cover
The insurance offering covers a wide variety of motorcycles with motorcycle insurance through Dairyland®. Whether you have a standard road motorcycle, a high-performance sport motorcycle, dirt bike, scooter, or moped, we can help you establish a policy that suits your needs.
Dairyland® covers the following types of motorcycles:
- Standard — Designed to be ridden on paved roads, and usually don't include fairings or windscreens
- Cruiser — Feature reclined seating
- Touring — Designed for long rides and bulkier than a standard motorcycle
- Sport Touring — Combination of sport bike and touring motorcycle
- Sport Bike — Performance-driven motorcycles built for responsive handling and quick braking
- Dual Purpose — Upgrade of a regular dirt bike with components to make it street-legal, such as horns, lights, and turn signals, and can be ridden on paved roads or off-road
- Scooter/Moped — Smaller motorcycle with no gears to shift
- Trike — Features three wheels instead of two and usually converted from a regular motorcycle to a three-wheeler
- Reverse Trike — Three-wheeled motorcycle with two front wheels and one in the rear with conventional motorcycle controls and features
- Autocycle — Features two front wheels and one in the rear combining open-air feel and performance of a motorcycle with the auto-style design and bucket seating for two
- Electric Motorcycles — Battery-powered motorcycle
- Limited Production Motorcycle — Small production or custom-made bikes. Not eligible for comprehensive or collision coverages
- ATV — Four or six-wheeled vehicle for off-road use, with straddle seat and handlebars
- UTV — Side-by-side, four or six-wheeled vehicle for off-road use with bucket or bench seats, steering wheel, and some type of roll bar cage
- Snowmobile — Features two front skis and a rear rack system for snow use, with straddle seat and handlebars
- Dirt Bike — Also known as a trail bike, two-wheeled motorcycle designed for off-road use that does not have manufacturer components that would make it legal for on-road use
Ready to get started? Get a motorcycle coverage quote today!Get a Free Quote
Cost of Motorcycle Insurance
Across the country, motorcycle insurance costs can vary widely in price based on a number of factors. However, motorcycle insurance premiums through our relationship with Dairyland® cost an average of just $500 per year.
Costs may vary depending on your age, gender, location, and other factors. But we believe you should be able to get motorcycle coverage, even if you are usually considered high risk. Contact a Customer Service Representative to learn about what your motorcycle coverage may cost.
Cheap Motorcycle Insurance
Thanks to our relationship with Dairyland® insurance, you can get flexible, affordable motorcycle insurance to cover your favorite bike. Get a quote today to learn more.Get a Free Quote
Frequently Asked Questions
The kind of motorcycle coverage you have depends on a variety of factors. For instance, most states require liability coverage at minimum. Explore your options with The General to find out which kind of motorcycle coverage you should have.
Age impacts motorcycle insurance rating factors and minimum age limits are necessary for insuring ATVUTV’s. Some insurance companies may even decide that people of certain ages—such as over 70 years old or younger than 25 years old—are considered high-risk, so the insurance policies will cost more than if the policyholder was not of those ages. The General knows that everyone still needs coverage, no matter how old they are! Get a quote from The General to find out what your motorcycle insurance will cost.
If your motorcycle is stolen, you should first file a police report to document the theft. Then, contact The General Customer Service to understand what your policy covers, which may include up to full replacement costs if you have comprehensive coverage. It is important to consider all risk factors when signing up for a policy, so be sure to weigh all of your options in case you have to deal with an unfortunate event such as theft.
Depending on your coverage, motorcycle insurance covers passengers. If you are looking to ensure that your passengers are covered in the event of a collision or another kind of accident, be sure you sign up for personal injury protection from The General.
The timeline for settling insurance claims will vary depending on the type of claim, who was at fault, how much damage was done, and the types of insurance coverage from all parties involved. Some claims are resolved within a matter of weeks, while others can take months or even years to settle due to issues with the other parties’ insurers.
Depending on your state, you may need to have a motorcycle license to get motorcycle insurance. However, all over the country, you’ll need a motorcycle license in order to ride the motorcycle on the street.
You will want to check your policy to find out if your motorcycle insurance covers custom parts or equipment. Double-check to make sure your aftermarket modifications will be covered in the instance of a collision or other adverse event.