Car Insurance Claims
In the event of an accident, The General® is prepared to assist you with your claim and guide you through the process. If you have an auto insurance policy from The General® and need to report a new claim or check an existing claim, call 1-800-280-1466 (select option #3). You can report a claim to one of our representatives 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Steps to Remember in The Event of an Auto Accident
Traffic accidents can be very stressful and chaotic situations. One of the most important things to remember if you get in an auto accident is to remain calm and in control. Knowing what to do in the event of an accident is the best way to prepare yourself.
Remember these steps:
- If it's safe to do so, make sure no one is in immediate physical danger. Call 911 immediately if an ambulance is needed. Regardless of who your auto insurance company is, drivers' safety is always the first priority.
- In most states, the police must be notified.
- Exchange name, address, telephone number and the name of insurance company and/or agent with the other driver(s) involved. It would also be a good idea to get the contact information of any witnesses.
- Get the make, model and license plate number of each vehicle involved and write down a description of the damage. If you have a camera or camera phone on hand, it is a good idea to photograph the damage sustained on any vehicle involved as well as the accident scene.
- At the first opportunity contact your insurance company to notify them that you have been involved in an accident.
- There are a number of conditions in your insurance contract that you must satisfy in order to receive compensation. For example, you'll need to cooperate during any investigation undertaken during the claims settlement process. Failure to complete or comply with any of these actions could result in non-payment by your insurance company for losses that otherwise would have been covered.