New York Auto Insurance Information

The General® offers auto insurance in New York.  We have affordable insurance options for drivers that have had a history of driving violations or accidents, have not kept their insurance in force, or have less than perfect credit.

You will find the answers to some common questions that residents of New York have below.

Minimum Level of Coverage

A motor vehicle registered in NY must have liability insurance.  Insurance coverage must be a minimum of $25,000/50,000 for injury, $50,000/100,000 for death, and $10,000 for property damage caused by any one accident.  New York is a no-fault state.  The liability coverage must remain in effect while the registration is valid, even if the vehicle is not used.

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding New York Auto Insurance

What can occur if I cancel my liability insurance?

The insurance company must notify the DMV if you cancel your liability insurance.  The DMV will then send you a letter about your insurance and you will have 10 days from the date of the DMV letter to prove that you have insurance coverage, prove that you sold the vehicle, or show other proof that insurance coverage was not required in NY.  If you do not have liability insurance, you must surrender your vehicle plates to the NYDMV immediately.  You must respond to the letter you receive from the DMV or surrender your plates to prevent the suspension of your registration and driver license.

What action does the DMV take if I do not have insurance and I do not surrender my vehicle plates immediately?

If you do not have insurance coverage and you do not surrender your vehicle plates to the DMV, your registration and driver license are suspended indefinitely.

If you had a lapse in your insurance coverage and did not surrender your vehicle plates, your registration is suspended for the same number of days that you did not have insurance coverage, but did hold vehicle plates.  If the time is greater than 90 days, your driver’s license is also suspended for the same number of days as the registration.  To reinstate your driver’s license, you must pay a termination fee of $25 when the suspension ends.

If involved in an accident, what must I do at the accident scene?

If you are in an accident, you are required by the NY Vehicle and Traffic Law to stop and exchange information with the involved drivers.  If the accident caused property damage only, then you are required to exchange information about your driver’s license, insurance, and registration with the involved drivers.  If a parked vehicle or other property is damaged, or if a domestic animal is injured, you must locate the owner or contact the police.

What if you’re currently driving without coverage?

The General® offers instant proof of insurance when you buy auto insurance online at our website.